BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Did I Do That?

5 things I'm thankful for:
1. An American politics class where I'm required to formulate good arguments.
2. Hanging out with Dad and having him in Chicago
3. Studying with my friends for their American Politics class...not mine
4. My Bracelet that has green strings on it.
5. The dry ice burn on my hand.

I had my American Politics class. In class we were going over U.S. Term Limits, Inc. V. Thornton (1995)
The main question being asked in the case was, can a state add to the list of requirements in the United States constitution for Federal(National) offices?

The facts of the case are: Arkansas put restrictions on the house and senate that are not in the US constitution and they are not trying to change the requirements to run—that would be going against the letter of the law—they are trying to make additions to the constitution.

In the verdict the supreme court ruled that the constitution is very clear about what requirements are necessary for running for office. Any individual who fulfills those requirements stipulated by the U.S. constitution is able to run.

I was in favor of the majority. I do not think that the states have the ability to add more stipulations to taking a national office.

The majority of students in my class were in favor of the dissent. They thought that Arkansas should have won and should be able to make their own choices as to who is eligible for that national offices.

My teacher always brings forth or sheds light on the opposing side of what you argue--no matter what. I have grown to appreciate this because it forces me to be able to form a deep well thought out argument. He makes us force ourselves to see the other sides argument(s) and be able to prove our point further while keeping these in mind.

As we were wrapping up my teacher knew I was itching to get in one more final point (I had been one of the few in favor of the majority and was therefore able to speak a lot)before we moved on. He gave me the privilege of a final point...after he had said the speaker before me was the closing statement. I felt pretty special. He turned the time over to me, I said, "When a separate state set different requirements for taking office in a a national position they are in essence putting faith in separate but equal. They have separate rules for the equal position. They are separate...but equal."

I saw my teacher grin, he said, "I'm not even going to try to argue against that. You're trying to get me to argue in favor of "Dred Scott v. Sanford" and I'm not gonna do that. So basically you're saying that the majority has an entire other argument that they did not unfold on this. Nicely done."

I was very content! I felt pretty happy:)

I love you all, goodbye.
Mi amor a todos, adios.
אני אוהב אותך כל, סלאמאת.

0 Animadvert(s):