BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, August 22, 2009

A New Page In my, in-progress, Novel Called "LIFE."

A new page in my life. The start of something new. The fresh beginnings. What does this all really mean? It's easy and convenient to say that since I'm in college, I'm starting something new. I'm starting the rest of my life. I'm starting my future. Everything is about the future. Not the present. Not the past.
Why do we forget the past? Why can't we live in the present? I think of the past. I think of the times with the family back home staying up way too late talking about absolutely nothing but at the same time talking about everything. Those are the moments in life I want to cherish and never forget. I want those to fill my future. The present, what a wonderful time in my life. I'll leave it at that.
My future. Why do I need to worry so much about that. If I get too caught up in the future, isn't it possible that I will neglect my future and forget my past? I don't want that to happen. I want to live in the moment, I want to be able to notice all the small things. I want to be content with the "now." I was sent an email that had something that impacted me profoundly, I hope it has the same effect on you as it had on me.





..something to think about...







Washington, DC Metro Station on a cold January morning in 2007. The

man with a violin played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During

that time approx. 2 thousand people went through the station, most of

them on their way to work. After 3 minutes a middle aged man noticed

there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few

seconds and then hurried to meet his schedule.

4 minutes later:

the violinist received his first dollar: a woman threw the money in

the hat and, without stopping, continued to walk.





6 minutes:

A young man leaned against the wall to listen to him, then looked at

his watch and started to walk again.



10 minutes:

A 3-year old boy stopped but his mother tugged him along hurriedly.

The kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed

hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time.

This action was repeated by several other children. Every parent,

without exception, forced their children to move on quickly.



45 minutes:

The musician played continuously. Only 6 people stopped and listened

for a short while. About 20 gave money but continued to walk at their

normal pace. The man collected a total of $32.



1 hour:

He finished playing and silence took over. No one noticed. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the

greatest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate

pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. Two

days before Joshua Bell sold out a theater in Boston where the seats

averaged $100.



This is a true story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro

station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social

experiment about perception, taste and people's priorities. The

questions raised: in a common place environment at an inappropriate

hour, do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we

recognize talent in an unexpected context?



One possible conclusion reached from this experiment could be this: If

we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best

musicians in the world, playing some of the finest music ever written,

with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made.....



How many other things are we missing?



How much are we missing? What are we missing? Live in the small stuff, live in the moment. Notice everything. Appreciate all. Love all.

I love you all, goodbye.
Mi amor a todos, adios. (correct me?)
אני אוהב אותך כל, סלאמאת.

0 Animadvert(s):